QMS is not limited to activities performed by a Quality team. In fact, your Quality team’s activities are only a meager percentage of items that are a part of QMS. A huge chunk of it is executed by different processes and functions. QMS is attributed to all departments of an organization and extends to suppliers also. The Quality team enables and supports the successful deployment of QMS in an organization. QMS is a tool and the Quality team is a driver that uses the tool for the betterment of the organization.
Irrespective of whether a company has an inbuilt Quality team or not, QMS is a must for all organizations that want to deliver and excel in satisfying the needs of their customers.
The objective of QMS is to deliver and satisfy customer needs. Therefore, Customer Focus is an integral part of any QMS. To work towards this goal, any organization will have a Vision, Mission and Quality objective. This will be the next element of a QMS. To achieve this goal, the organization will devise processes, policies for various departments.
Then the organization will allocate resources for the processes to be executed. Next, to ensure that these processes do not have any bottlenecks and resources are utilized effectively, the organization will use Data based analytical approach and continual improvement process. Thus, the above-highlighted items are an integral part of an effective QMS.
What are the benefits of using a QMS?
- QMS brings a defined approach to achieve the objectives of an organization. Therefore, it provides the management team a clearly defined path that will lead to success.
- It sets a standardized requirement for all functions and departments. Therefore, assessing the process performance or providing them the expectations from the management becomes a simple task
- Implementation of QMS increases the confidence level of the customers on your product/service. Thus the revenue and market share of an organization goes up.
- QMS ensures that the objectives of the organization are linked towards the customer needs and thus creates a perfect value chain
- Implementation of QMS increases the effective use of resources
- It sets clear objectives for each job role and each team, and thus miscommunication and ambiguity in the way of processing is avoided.
- It enables an organization to understand its pain areas, customer complaints, and concerns, and work towards it.
Thus there are enormous benefits in devising a robust QMS and implementing it to its full extent.
What types of organizations can use QMS?
Any organization that delivers any kind of product or service for a price can use QMS to ensure that its objective is achieved in a structured manner. Airlines, software companies, Automobile manufacturers, dyeing units, Universities, Government bodies, Airports, supermarkets, and so many organizations use QMS in their daily business.